Sunday, February 8, 2015

Restaurant Review Asia 2015 # 1



Northam Beach Cafe is not a single cafe, rather it is actually 37 different food stalls at an open air beach front "food hawker" location near Charles and Linda's house in Penang. We know it is 37 because we counted. some things are important to know.

As far as restaruants go, it isn't one technically, but as Susan pointed out, food served in eating establishments at service stations shouldn't be called such either, yet we do, so here it goes.


We went there for dinner a second time already, once while Mark and Marie were here, getting a better view of the coast —— (Tiger is a brand of beer -FYI)


 and a view of the size of the beer that is available, should one say large when asked "small or large" after ordering -(now you know)(and Tiger beer comes in rather large bottles)


This time I ordered from two different noodle stands - I like noodles — check out my options.
note the prices.  RM5.5 Malaysian Ringgits per bowl, I got two bowls.  At RM3.65 Ringgits per $1 US it is not going to bust us financially tonight.


here are condiments that I can have put on my noodles


FYI
I like noodles
did so in Thailand 40 years ago
still do in China now
and order spaghetti when I eat Italian back home
and Linda cooked spaghetti tonight with some great sauce too!
good thing I am so easy to please
(as Patt knows so well)

and here is the noodle stand cook, she has lots of pots of noodles


the table next to us


 an option not taken despite the absence of glutamate


passed on these too


last time I was here I ordered Korean noodles, not choosing German food.


could have bought pirated DVDs on the way out


this is what we ended up with, minus Charles' Thai butter fish which came later- also good.


We will be going back, The noodles were great - will be ordering them again.  different toppings though- — That is a watermelon drink on the right side of the photo, Kate introduced that to me - when here order one!  I have now had two. The sushi was reported as very good and the dessert -- mango sticky rice and sweetened condensed coconut milk — had it twice and will again-hoo-haaa!!

Food hawker stands are a big part of the food scene here and the food scene here is wonderful- as is Northam Beach Cafe.

2 comments:

  1. Looks amazing! Good choices seemed to have been made! Enjoyed the review!

    ReplyDelete