Thursday, August 14, 2014

ocean boat ridin' and and iceberg



Wednesday we put on a sweater, well technically yesterday we wore warm clothes too, but today we intentionally and under advisement wore warm clothes. We went with Pilot Terry and Captain Paul — not me - though it would have been fun, on a boat ride to see whales.


We left St. Anthony's fishing fleet and the little harbor early this morning and headed out into the Atlantic — and it was a little rough. Captain Paul said the swells were only three feet — but closer together due to high winds which made for a rougher ride than normal — well let me tell you — on the upper deck only four of the dozen or so paying tourists ventured up. It was fun and we HELD on.


Sailed out past the point where we had picnicked one day and had dinner one evening too.


and saw whales, not a lot — but did see some hump back - we think - whales.


The flipper is there if you look closely (not going to make a National Geographic special issue whale photo spread), but the boat was bobbing up and down and I was holding on with one hand and trying to find the whale and shoot with the telephoto lens maxed out. Good thing it has a fast shutter.


came in close to those cliffs too.  The water is about 75 feet deep according to Cap'n Paul.


Later in the day we went for a hike around the light house at the end of the point and saw our boat going out for another tour.


I wave at boats.  Especially when I know the captain.


Patt on part of the trail.


View of forest and valley behind the town from another little hike we took.


I like to walk down to the water when I get the chance. Don't know why, just do.  Gets me off the path sometimes, but I just gotta go touch the water.


One reason we went to the point was to see this. An iceberg. This photo is from the morning,  Little fog and not much sun shining on it.


And late in the afternoon, the sun shone directly on it and it really stood out. The water color was changing too. 

The currents and winds turned the iceberg a bit I think so it presents a different shape than before.
We just liked looking at it.  Earlier in the year, icebergs are common place and many float by after the regular ice breaks up.  The dark spots in the photo below are birds.  I got them in lots of the photos I took — and I took a lot ( you know how cheap film is now) -  However none of them came out clear and sharp (James where are you and your camera when needed).


Tomorrow we are up very very early, off catch a ferry to Labrador.  We will be staying in Blanc Sablon, Quebec on the border with Labrador.  Ferry ride across the Strait of Belle Isle.

3 comments:

  1. Wow icebergs you must be way up north!
    Great photos. Keep up the travelogue.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to pull out my atlas to track your trip and see how far North you are! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We can see whales when you come south for the winter!!! But no icebergs. That is really neat.

    ReplyDelete