-
Today after Mandarin Class – I think I like saying that—I stayed downtown again and went to TienFu, the main square in town, replete with monstrous statute of “the Chairman”. I of course got someone to take my picture and then sat on a curb along with a host of others and did some serious people watching.
We had happy groups, this photo may be entered into a contest as I think it may be the only one in existance taken with in the past several years of a group of young Chinese on an outing where there is not even one person doing the “peace” sign of two fingers held up palm out and thumb over the little two fingers.
I really liked Mr. Cool here, he was really doing some serious movie star poses and though I was in his direct line of sight, never saw me taking pictures of them.
And discovering a “Coke” bag in one of my photos of people taking pictures of the Chairman was just to poetic. Of course the Cartier, Louis Vitton, Burberry, Armani stores surrounding the square in the lower floors of the big hotels were a bit over the top. And then the Porsches, Lexus, and big Buicks sorta set the stage too, Whatever must the Chairman think -- and these people too.
Before I forget-- when the dancing water features started playing, there was some syrupy music being played on loudspeakers all across the park. I can not remember the artist but he was one from several years ago that many people made fun of because his saxophone - violin - piano music was so sappy. Nice but sappy. If you say his name - I will know it. I asked one of the foreigners there whose music we were hearing and they recognized it but also could not recall the artist.
Next week is the “National Day” celebrating the Communist Victory over the Kuomintang and flower things were being built around the square. This one in the middle of a road is done. It was not hard to get someone to take a photo. There were numbers of people taking photos. Oh and I saw a few other loaweis today in the TienFu square area too. ( Leave a tourist area and you are alone.)
And just a couple of blocks away at a “Peoples Park” we have the peasant soldier. It seems they are all "Peoples Park" Mr. Peoples must have really like funding all these parks. And how did I know this soldier was a peasant? One I have read history and know all the soldiers were peasants and their cause was just. Also he had one of those conical straw hats on his back held there by a strap around his neck. Oh and this is not the first peasant soldier in bold pose I have seen either.







Kenny G? Yanni?
ReplyDeletePatsy Cline? Hank Williams?
ReplyDeleteKaren, you nailed it. Kenny G it was.
ReplyDeletethanks.
I love the pictures and reading about your travels!
ReplyDeleteAh Kenny G - let's bring him back :)! Love all the people watching. Looks like a ton of fun!
ReplyDelete