Friday, June 3, 2011

went to Bocas

--


a couple of days ago I went to Bocas Del Toro, part of a series of islands on the Caribbean side of Panama.  To get there I flew one of the local airlines.  and I do mean local -- see below -- fear not I have returned -- not even as noisy as American Eagle and a lot more comfortable.  

now the airport at Bocas, as we call it, is a bit small, at the edge of the water, as is everything else on the island and is a bit short on buildings, the shot below is of just a storage? building - and yes that is a dog in the picture - there were a lot of dogs in Bocas -- not so many cats.

Bocas Del Toro is part of an island chain where Columbus went on his fourth voyage to America.  A little history there and there are nearby islands named by him for himself.  I think I would have done that too, and after all he probably could see the writing on the wall about not getting to India and all -- and fame and fortune being somewhat fleeting when dealing with Kings and Queens as he was.  So time to name something.   After all who wants the state capital of Ohio named for you. (and he probably didn't know that either)   Well perhaps if you were from Ohio you wouldn't feel this way.

The main terminal in Bocas was under construction, and I mean under construction, like walk over wet concrete, around re- bar construction.   Careful there, I said to myself- no one else did, nor were there warning signs either.  We are talking lets build this place - or remodel this place right around the passengers and terminal employees, so they are.
The town is slap full of young kids and people that looked a lot like me.  There was the sweet smell of wacky weed in the air, as well as lots of opportunities to buy a beverage of choice.  I think this is what could be called a tropical tourist town.  Lots of water based activities, surfing, diving, snorkeling, boating, swimming, hanging out, buying hammocks (apparently that is a good business as about one million were for sale).  The dining opportunities were numerous and seafood great.
I, of course, enjoyed especially the boat riding and swimming and snorkeling.  this is a view back towards town.  Seafood too was awesome -- and they do fried right.
The guest at the next table one evening at an outdoor -- as were most - restaurants.
and this is the view from my breakfast table looking towards the left and the neighbors taxi boat dock and laundry ? room, or day room ?- with privacy shields.  I stayed in a water front 4 room "hotel" it called itself.  and it came with "order your breakfast- and lots of fresh fruits and such.  Really really nice.
My day time activities were spent on the water, as I joined various boating tour options for snorkeling and touring.  The second day, I spent just snorkeling as I really liked that and it was spectacular.  Subject for next post.-- spoiler alert--  I did not have an underwater camera, but I will try to describe it.  Awesome starts.

3 comments:

  1. sounds like a lot of fun dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that does sound like a really fun place to go! You made me laugh when you said "wacky weed"!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks a little seedy but easy to overlook with the fun adventures of snorkling and boat riding!

    ReplyDelete