Saturday, June 11, 2011

boxing - a big part of my time here

--


of the many things I have enjoyed here is my time at the gym that Stephen is a partner in ownership.  I think there are four or five guys that are together -- anyway it relocated here about the time of my arrival in Panama.  

It is at the end of a narrow -- they all are -- street in Casco Viejo that dead ends at the waterfront -- right behind the car parked at the end of the street here.  the gym parking lot is in a courtyard to the left just in front of the car.


I actually started boxing over a year ago back home.  I was  recruited by the boxing coach there after my weight training coach left the gym where I have had a membership for several years.  Immediately, I really started liking it - a lot.  This is Edwin, from the Darien Province of Panama, my coach here.  We have enjoyed one another's company beyond just coach student as we have talked a lot about Panama, the USA and his home province.  He has helped me a lot with Spanish as I have read out loud to him and such.  He is very patient.  He has to be to talk to me in Spanish.  

and I really can sorta make this bag hum.  Not quite like Ali, but I do not fall down trying either.   Which I might add is a start.
Often if I stay late enough, this couple shows up.  Normally, since I ride a bike I like to get home before dark -- and since they both still work -- I sometimes have left before they get there.

Here Jen is hopefully getting here right hand up a little higher before Edwin whoops her upside the head.  It is an effective teaching method.  I wear a mouth piece as sometimes I bob when I should have weaved.
Jen skips rope like one of those kids at a Wake basketball game with the exception of the flips.  and seemingly goes on for hours.
and below is view from the porch of the gym.  The photo above does not capture it.  I took the photo below immediately after the one above.  The historic fort is in the distance.  Well actually the whole place is historic.  The gym is in an historic school.

Stephen not only does boxing and kick boxing and jujitsu - a kind of wrestling --

and here is me trying to hit the mitt of Edwin and keep the other glove up.  It is harder than you think.   The reminders are a whoop upside the head-- it took me a while.
One afternoon at low tide I walked out into the bay.  Here is the gym, part of the town and fort.  The gym is to the left.

and a closer view of the gym --the five windows in the middle on the bottom floor are on the gym porch.  High tide comes under the gym and I think the water is about three or four feet deep where I am standing.
and below is a look back towards where I was standing.  Actually I was a little to the left of this photo at the end of the sand bar.  (the rest of the bay is hard volcanic looking rock and cinder looking rock - no mud).    I was trying to get in the picture the person that is walking back towards the next neighborhood.  If you look to the right top of  the tidal pool you can see the reflection of the person walking.

 In the background is the Causeway.  It is impressive to see the big ships coming in and out of the Canal there.  Straight out from the gym of course is the ocean with the ships waiting to enter the canal.  Also interesting.  It has been really nice to work out here.

2 comments:

  1. What a privilege to have the time and health to enjoy all of these things!
    Truly Blessed!
    bro Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like so much fun! I know you are sad to leave there but excited about all the adventures left for this year.

    ReplyDelete