Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Paris Landmarks


Today we intentionally went to some of the sure thing "landmarks" of Paris. Subway ride and up the stairs and there it is. Impressive too. Napoleon knew how to honor himself and the country - somewhat confusing the two — in 1920 an unknown soldier from the graves in Verdun was moved here to the middle of the Arc D'Triumph.  


In 1920 an unknown soldier from the graves in Verdun, was moved here to the middle of the Arc D'Triumph.


Another of the landmarks was the Eiffel Tower. I did not think climbing it would be so special, but we did to the first level. And I am putting that act in the group of my top five things we have seen/ done in Paris. It was just special to me to "climbing the "Eiffel Tower"  — Musee d'Orsay was  another, Rodin another, dining in Paris another. 


Looking up is impressive, by the time you move far away to take a photo, it loses some of what makes it look so good. Besides you have seen better photos that I got.


We ate lunch at a small cafe on this street. The view gives you an idea of how imposing the tower really is.  


 View of Seine River from the first level of the tower.



And we walked past here, Notre Dame Cathedral, many times as it was so close to our hotel. Inside we did not think as impressive as some of the other churches or cathedrals we had seen, but it is big and full of people.


Charlemagne's associate looks fierce, the battle ax is fierce looking to but at wrong angle to see in this photo. Converted photo to black and white to get some contrast for features of the associate.



We did stop by the Musee d'Orangerie to see the Impressionists, particularly the "Water Lilies" by Monet.  They are a series of four extremely long paintings that compliment one another that are somewhat like a circle.  


and had lunch at another landmark - a street side cafe. Actually not the first time we stopped at one but first for a full meal.


It was quite nice. And they really are quite ubiquitous in the parts of Paris that we were in.


and we are looking forward to coming back again.
as tomorrow we head back home.


4 comments:

  1. Great pictures! You all are having such a memorable trip! Will be glad to see you when you get home!
    robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels! I have enjoyed your travels. Thanks for all the pictures and commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing trip! And I'm impressed if you didn't gain weight from all the good food and wine! I know I did when we were skiing! Ha! I hope being back in Raleigh wasn't too much of a disappointment!

    ReplyDelete