Eagle Lake, Jordan Pond, Bubble Pond, Witches Hole and more. Susan, we rode around or to or beside them all. Saturday's fog was a precursor to a night storm which brought in this morning's genuine cool brisk crisp fall. Real live fall weather. Went outside after breakfast to check the weather— it was cold and all we saw were people in long pants and coats, sweaters, and jackets.
The sun was shining, we dressed in layers, and rode the Rockerfeller's carriage roads. (He wanted a place to pleasure ride while on vacation — I do too). He needed some bridges so he built those too. More later on them.
The roads are now reserved for bikes, horses (we saw evidence but no actual horses), hikers and, of course, horse drawn carriages. One of the lakes — Eagle Lake because it is large I think.
one of the lakes, do not know which one. It was just a pretty day.
and there were not a lot of other people out. The trails did have some other bikers just not a lot.
That is Patt up ahead. Smokin' me.
more glaciated rock- and me not in my orange shirt.
Rockefeller built bridges - 17 bridges - each different, and many as a work of bridge "art". That is Patt waving to me down in the basin below. Unfortunately there as been a lot of tree and other growth since the bridges were first built so it is a little more difficult to "view" them. My guess is that ole John D Junior would have some men with axes out in a heart beat if he were to return to his play ground and find out that one could not adequately appreciate his bridges.
So as the cruise ships were taking their passengers back to their ships via water taxis we were on a sail on a four masted schooner. Just a "harbor sail" but it was fun. Lots of us tourists as passengers in lieu of cargo, but I expect we were profitable enough.
That is the mizzen sail. I "helped" hoist her aloft. When they called out for volunteers once again I stepped forward as did most of the rest of the trusty crew. We had to ration pulls on the ropes. Fortunately between the mainsail, mizzen, mizzen, toppen, fronton, and backen, there was enough sail to be hoisted for all who wanted to participate. Actually there were seven sails, so I missed getting all the names. I do know I worked on the mizzen mast sail. I think that sounds cool.
We enjoyed the ride and were out in the harbor until sunset. It was quite nice.

Gorgeous! It sounds as though Bar Harbor and Acadia have really gotten big and busy (cruise ships, buses, etc.).
ReplyDelete