-
a couple of days ago as I was walking around the north end of the house (the end opposite the chimney) and saw this Box Turtle. It has been years since I have seen one. I could not tell you how long ago, but long ago.
He, I do not know that for sure I should add, was headed towards disaster, the cul-de-sac, so I picked him up and set him on the drive for a photo -- he was not pleased as you can readily note.
I took him to the back yard, where eventually he peaked out from his shell.
Then the turtle left.
As a boy growing up, seeing a turtle was a common occurrence, and picking up an abandoned shell was no big deal. I recall having several shells somewhere at one time or another. It was good to see a turtle again.




THe kids loved seeing them on the golf course at Susan's. ~Julie
ReplyDelete"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'til its gone..." Thanks Paul for another great observation and for reminding us of what we used to have - and you've made me stop and wonder what else we don't see/hear any more. For me, it is the sound of the BobWhites calling in the day and Whippoorwills at night. Down at the Wanagan, when it sang (as soon as it was dark where they nested on the floor of the pine woods) it was understood that we kids were to shut up and go to sleep.
ReplyDeleteIt took me years to realize that by the end of our two month long summer there Mother Nature had moved our bedtime up an hour!
Janet