This is the garden entrance to the delightful little Scottish coffee shoppe / bistro across the street from my office. Nearly every morning I go there for a "senior coffee - a very good cup for only .53. This bistro does quiet well though despite its Scottish heritage does not have staffing from Scotland
The majority of the staff are either Hispanic or from eastern North Carolina. The Spanish speaking staff have taken great delight in teaching me Spanish. I sometimes have to make sure I learn a word or phrase just to not disappoint them when I go over to place my "para aqui" order whether it is to go or not. I just like saying "para aqui", with a little roll to the "r" and emphasis on the second syllable of aqui.
One of the things that make this bistro so special is the people that frequent the place. You may find a table of retired high powered Raleighites that might include a former judge, a senator, or a doctor, (including the doctor husband of the physician who delivered Laura), high school kids from a near by high school, construction workers, street people, and everyone in between. Some of the most frequent regulars include this table I joined as it includes the famous character, Hattie.
Hattie is the retired hostess from the Country Club and knows anyone worth knowing in Raleigh according to her- and they know her – in fact last winter, she introduced me to the table of the judge, senator and doctor, not knowing that they go to the same church that I go to.. She got to know me as she makes a point of meeting the regulars – not from her former position “at the club” as she says. In addition to knowing people she has a ready and quick wit.
One day shortly after I returned from Stephen and Jen’s wedding Hattie spoke to me as I exited the coffee shop into the outdoor patio area, and said: “there you stand with all your money, just back from vacation and ain’t sent me no child support check for months” ----Well, the place went stone cold quiet.
Now I ask you what would you say? Have you stopped wetting your bed? Do you always pick your nose? I mean what do you say? Well for no particular reason, I said, “ Hattie, if you don’t hush up, I am going to have the sheriff bring papers by your house.” – and then with whatever dignity I had, I walked on through the patio.- smiling. (and trying not to laugh).
This is the front of the Scottish coffee shoppe. I just love the genuine name ---- McDonalds. Some one might want to really pick up on this drive through menu idea, it is really popular here. It looks like a keeper on an idea.
I will need to stay away from these coffee houses if I am going to be hit up for child support!
ReplyDeletebro Mark
Uncle Paul, I just adore your blog. I love that I can "hear" you through your writing. It's all just so YOU.
ReplyDeletelove,
Karen
OH Paul, you are a hoot! Loved the post. Love Hattie too!
ReplyDeleteLynnette
LOVE IT! Great review and awesome comment to Hattie! love julie
ReplyDeleteStill laughing, Paul!!!!! I would have paid good money to witness that scene!
ReplyDeleteMarie