Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Restaurant Review # 2- the series continues

and now the review


Continuing in a review of "one-of-a-kind' restaurants, yesterday in Lincolnton, I had the opportunity to dine at Aunt Bessie's. While not the late Aunt Bessie of Surry County -- of course - we all know she would never leave sight of Pilot Mountain -- it was nearly as good a meal as Aunt Bessie would have prepared and that is a real compliment. This restaurant is located in a strip mall that perhaps has seen better days. There is a Big Lots on one side, a tanning salon and an income tax service on the other and a selection of other services on down the strip, none overwhelmingly involved with customers at the time of our visit on a hot Monday in August. The interior will please the most discerning of customers, and even entertain those prone to nostalgia and please the frugal (note the banner out front proclaim 7 meals under $7.00).









That is stew beef, not beef stew, (we who know what stew beef is know the difference --and it is significant) and the choice was over rice or mashed potatoes,- I went with the potatoes, and in the bowl was pinto beans of course, -- what did you expect with stew beef? = asparagus? , and the little side dish is onions and of course in a place like this, it is fried okra for me without looking at the menu. And as for the choice of bread when it is biscuit or cornbread, I just smile and say both please. The waitress smiles back and says "Sure Honey." (We know what to expect don't we)




Despite my outward appearance, the meal was very good, I will go back to Aunt Bessie's should an opportunity present itself, and I did belong to the clean plate club.





I think I mentioned it is quaint




and after dining or other adventures in Lincoln County , if you wish I imagine I could arrange a visit for you to the Lincoln County landfill. It is not too far from town and while not one of the larger landfills in the state nor one of the more interesting nor one of the most scenic, nor one of the most unique in any fashion I can think of, if you are there in Lincoln County and really want to see a landfill, I reckon this one will have to do.


2 comments:

  1. Liked the picture of the landfill included with the restaurant review! Sounds like a great place to dine! Love Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great meal. I'll take you up on a visit to the restaurant next time I'm around. And, heck, I might even take you up on the landfill tour too. :) I wonder where the put all the garbage from our fine city.... -Matt

    ReplyDelete